4/7/09

Do It Yourself

My dad is THE ultimate DIYer! Being a perfectionist (knowing that if you do it yourself you will do it right) is not the only motivation! Can we say save a buck or two? He will tackle almost any project without having any kind of experience with it... and it always ends up great. I'm not sure if handy men just have this knack for taking things apart and then knowing how to put it together again. Some of the projects he's undertaken just at my house in the past year: installing a back door while needing to level the frame with shims, installing all the ceiling fans and light fixtures including moving the fixture box in the ceiling to center a chandelier, redoing the sprinkler system outside, taking apart the pool pump and filter to get that in tip- top shape. Ok, it's really too much to list... he will try anything once.

Last weekend I went up to his house in Prescott (1.5 hours north of Phx) and could not believe what I saw. Nestled in the side of a small incline on the property was 2 sets of dirt/rock piles with a board on each of them (I wish I had a picture). Anyway, when I questioned my mom about them she said, "Yeah, dad dug a hole so that he could fit in it and move his truck over the top of the rock piles and be able to work on the underside of his truck". That's not all... what was wrong with his truck????? He wanted to change the transmission fluid. HE DUG A WHOLE in the hard Arizona landscape so he could change his transmission fluid. I didn't get a chance to ask him about it that weekend bc I ended up hanging with my mom and he was washing his car and then watering the garden and I forgot about it. But, when I saw him that week in Phx I remembered to ask if it was really to change his transmission fluid that he did all that. Defensively he told me that the guys at the shops just pump your transmission fluid out of the tank and he wanted to let it drip out like it was supposed to be done. Go DAD!

And, because I am wanting to also add some pics to my entries- looks sooo purty, Tab & Naomi. I will send some beautiful AZ weather your way. This is this morning from my front door. Oh, it was 90 degrees yesterday.

3 comments:

  1. This DIY story about your dad is HILARIOUS!! I just laughed out loud at work, which is probably not a good thing given that my manager sits in the cubicle next to mine and that was a dead giveaway that I'm most likely not laughing at an Excel spreadsheet. :) Your dad cracks me up, but there is something to be said for DIY on principle. Thanks for sharing the story!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, and SOOO happy to have some new entries to read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss DAD. You are to right that he is a DIY person. I can't believe it is already 90 in AZ. It is freezing here in TX - 50 degrees!!!!! I thought TX was hot.

    ReplyDelete