3/13/09

Who Knew It Was In There?

I've been back home since Tuesday and finally feeling a bit better. I ended up going to urgent care on Wed because I was miserable. Ends up that I have a sinus infection. I'm taking some antibiotics and nasal decongestant stuff so it's doing the trick. It was just bizarre being so sick bc I can't even remember the last time I had the flu- much less something worse. I did take some sick days at work and so I feel better having the chance to rest and "drink lots of fluids" (doctor's orders :)).

I returned the fabric that I bought a few weeks ago. I hadn't started the projects I had in mind and then thinking about the money I spent on the fabric... I made the right choice and returned it all. It's probably hardest for me to stay out of the Homegoods stores and craft aisles than going clothes shopping, etc. But, I am determined to do it. After all, if I want a "project fix" I can just reorganize a closet or rearrange a room!

Yesterday I babysat (2 y/0 and 4 y/0) for just a few hours and I must say that kids are very frustrating sometimes. When I said "don't go into that room" (not a lot of places are off limits but I do have this guest bedroom that has a 'very tempting to rip apart' arrangement) my little 2 y/o would cross his arms and plant his feet in the ground and avoid eye contact. Where do they get this stuff!? And then, not talking about any kids in particular, kids will cry as if their world is falling apart for the littlest thing, they will not be reasoned with if they're focused on something and for goodness sakes- why is it so hard to get them to eat?

I have a friend who rubbed me the wrong way when she said, "I think people don't have kids because they're selfish". I think that sometimes people have kids because that is what is "expected" of them - and that is being selfish. You see, if you can't invest the time and energy into raising them to have healthy minds, bodies and spirits (and they are SOOO needy) then isn't it selfish to have them just so you can say that you also have them or because of a desire to see what your offspring would be like? In particular, I think the American- Romanian, Christan community with their young couples having the requisite 2-5 children while they themselves have no sense of stability or maturity is somewhat of a travesty. I KNOW that I am being judgemental when I say that but, I also work in a field where I see some of the worst family situations and I just want to scream "stop having children" already! It's so unfair to these kids! Yet, I know that life is a gift and every life has a purpose so I would hope that these kids thrive despite their circumstances.... yet, not most do!

And, I didn't think I would get to this tangent by the end of this blog, but the octet mom is a prime example of what is wrong with the ability to procreate in today's generation. Single, YOUNG mom with proven inability to care for her 6 children, is able to have 8 more (at once, no less) which for one person is physically impossible to just feed these babies- much less all the (vital) rest! Yet, she is also getting a new home, a general contractor, a furnished, decorated nursery by a hot- to- trot celebrity designer and much more... yea, Dr. Phil is shameless for helping hoist this attention on her! What, may I ask WHAT, is being done for children of all the "drug" moms out there who are on their 4th and 5th pregnancy? Oh yea, they're in CPS custody or the foster system that SUCKS! Maybe the solution is to bring back orphanages to each city. After all, isn't that what the media and the octet mom did by providing a home for these 14 children who will not know what a 2 parent stable home looks like? The kids will most likely bond with each other and they will help raise each other. Swell. Dr. Phil will still be in business in 18 years with the therapy sessions this will necessitate.

3 comments:

  1. Well said, Monica. I agree. Young couples should not have kids just because it's the cultural thing to do. I consider myself young and see girls I grew up with that are married with kids already. Sometimes I wish I could shake some sense into pple.

    Also, if you are in need of fabric, there is this huge store here of fabric. It's actually a warehouse. Oh my. You would go crazy in it. I did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO EXCITED to see you blogging again!

    Ok, if you need a "project fix" you can always come add some much needed inspiration to my home!! I'm serious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I wrote a very lengthy comment and somehow closed out of my Internet browser window before it saved. Bummer!

    Basically, I wanted to let you know that I COMPLETELY agree with your take on the topic in this post. I consider it the utmost act of selfishness to have children simply b/c that's what expected culturally or socially. To think that all a child needs is a roof over their head and food on the table displays the ignorance that is prevalent in so much of what I've seen and it breaks my heart that those children will never reach their full potential. It's disgusting, and ultimately, so very very sad!

    I could go on and on, but that's for another day and a face-to-face.

    ReplyDelete